The good old ‘fact’ that Google has 200 ranking factors has almost become a basic principle of SEO seemingly set in stone. But people often ignore the fact that not all of these factors are backed by statistical data or just plain simple evidence. Some of them are proven, some part of speculation and others controversial. Providing SEO Services In Delhi for several years, we also make our strategies on some rock-solid factors and some not-so-established ones.
Where Did It Come From?
So, where did the 200 ranking factor thing come from? Most people have pointed to Google’s Matt Cutts, who mentioned ‘over 200 variables’ back in 2009. It stuck and SEO community considered it its bible. There have been countless algorithm updates, mobile-first indexing and many other changes in many years since then. So, how many confirmed ranking factors are there? They are around 10, other than that it’s all speculation.
Let’s take a quick look at them:
- Site Speed – It is a confirmed factor since 2010 and mobile has also come under its roof.
- Title Tags – Title tags were also confirmed by Google’s John Mueller in a Google Hangout session.
- PageRank – It is the foundation of Google as a search engine, and they continue to use it for ranking pages effectively.
- Links – Links are also quite famous as a ranking factor and everybody knows it already.
- Over-Optimization – It exists. You optimize for a keyword so much that it starts to become a negative signal.
- Geolocation – This is such a Duh! Factor. Your location impacts the search query results.
- Domain Authority – Domain authority matters and the page authority stem from it.
- Anchor Text – It was a little doubtful one for a few years but Google confirmed it a few years back.
- HTTPS – It might not be a big factor, but it definitely a confirmed one.
- Mobile-Friendly – It is a mobile-friendly era and why should your website be behind.
Web Click India is a leading Web Development Company In India, and you can get in touch with us to bring your website on the first page of Google. Give us a chance to show it in action. Call now.